Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Tasty Tuesday - Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream and stone fruit topping

It's time for Tasty Tuesday with Lean Lena.  When my brother asked if there was anything specific we wanted to do in Columbus, I said try Jeni's Ice Cream! It's a local ice cream chain in Columbus that's supposed to be amazing. I've heard about it from several people and even seen it on the Food Network.  My brother, of course, agreed.

We went and Mike and I both decided to try an ice cream sandwich. He had the oatmeal cream pie and I had the salted caramel with smoked almonds.  My brother had the chocolate truffle with backyard mint.


All of them were delicious so we decided to get a pint to eat at home after dinner. We debated over a couple samples and settled on the Riesling poached pear sorbet. It had a light and refreshing flavor with an intense pear taste. My brother also had some peaches, apricots, and plums that needed to be eaten so I decided to make a stone fruit topping for the sorbet.


I halved all the fruit and cut them into slices.


Next, I melted two tablespoons of butter in a saucepan.  Once it was melted, I added two tablespoons of sugar and let it cook with the butter until it began to brown.  I added in the fruit, some cinnamon and some nutmeg.  I covered the pot and let it all cook together for 5 minutes. When done, the fruit had softened and there was a delicious sauce in the bottom of the pot.


We spooned the hot fruit into the bottom of the bowl, covered with the sorbet, and then drizzled the sauce over top if the ice cream. It made a total of 4 servings.




Everyone agreed that this was delicious! This was by no means low calorie but it wasn't bad as far as desserts go. And it was all natural ingredients and really tasted like a perfect summer dessert.  I bet the topping would also be good over greek yogurt or oatmeal as a slightly healthier option.

I love finding local food finds while traveling.  Have you come across any great local food finds?

No comments:

Post a Comment