Thursday, December 18, 2014

2014 Year of Running

I can't believe that it's almost the end of 2014!  This is my first full year that I've been running and I've had so many amazing moments.  When I saw the Year of Running link up from Miss Zippy, I knew I had to participate.




  • Best race experience? I'm going to go with the obvious one and say the Richmond Half Marathon.  It was my first half marathon and it was an amazing experience to know that I could not only finish the race but finish feeling good thanks to my year of training.

 Ecstatic to be finishing my first half marathon
  • Best run? I've had so many good runs this year (and a fair share of bad ones) so it's hard to choose the best.  But I think I'm going to go with my run on the Strip while in Las Vegas :)  It was my first time running on vacation and it was good to discover a new way to see and enjoy a vacation destination :)
 
Seeing a new city on the run

  • Best new piece of gear?  I started out the year with essentially no running gear (other than my shoes) and have ended with a lot, so I have a lot to choose from! I'm going to take out the obvious (my shoes) and go with my garmin forerunner 220.  It's really helped with my training to be able to have access to the data from the watch after each run.  
 

  • Best piece of running advice you received? To cross train.  I used to think that runners just ran and that was enough.  But then I got some knee pain and I was told that I needed to include core and hip strengthening exercises.  The more I read, the more I realized how important it was to include other types of workouts in my routine.  And I love yoga so that remained a big part of my routine.  I'm still working on the weight training.
  
Still haven't mastered an unsupported headstand but I'm working on it!
  • Most inspirational runner? There are so many people out there to be inspired by but I really can't just choose one.  I will say that I found watching the Marine Corps Marathon to be amazingly inspiring, especially watching all of the individuals who had lost limbs still completing the race.  

  • If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be? Commitment and Joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment